Australian Author Month: Rochelle Llewelyn Nicholls

August 02, 2015



Rochelle Llewelyn Nicholls




Rochelle Llewelyn Nicholls is the author of numerous journal articles on orthopaedic surgery and sports medicine. She also writes about the science of baseball and has worked as a sports scientist with junior players at both the Western Australian Institute of Sport and the American Sports Medicine Institute. She lives in Australia. 








Five Fast Fun Facts about Rochelle...

1. I hold a Ph.D. in Biomechanics and, before I became a writer, I worked as a biomedical engineer (I designed implants for hip and knee replacements)

2. I live on a large cattle station and, when I'm not writing, I compete in rodeo and campdraft and I work with problem horses

3. I represented Australia at the World Cup of fencing on four occasions.

4. My writing idols include Miles Franklin, J.K. Rowling, Richard Flanagan, Tim Winton, and John Marsden.

5. Although I'm a non-fiction writer, I read tonnes of fiction, and I'm a particular fan of fiction for kids, as the sheer joy and creativity therein is a wonderful stimulus for my own imagination.

Where to find Rochelle...



"A gentleman when the game was hard-bitten, played by rough-and-ready lads out to win, whatever the cost...."

Australia had few sporting heroes in the years preceding its federation in 1901. But before its 20th-century Olympic trailblazers, and Depression-era icons such as Phar Lap and Don Bradman, came an Australian sporting pioneer who was celebrated on the most glamorous stage in the world--American major league baseball. Joe Quinn's story has long been lost in the land of his birth. This tale gallops from the deprivation of famine-ravaged Ireland through colonial Australia to the raucous ballfields of 19th-century America, with their unruly players and owners, brawls and adulation and backroom betrayals. Through 17 seasons in the major leagues, "Undertaker" Joe Quinn earned his place among the colorful characters who pioneered the modern game of baseball, as much for his ability to stand apart from their bad behavior as for his steadfastness on the field. Meet Australia's first professional baseball player and manager, whose willingness to "have a go" in the grand Australian tradition will live long in the minds of sports fans on both sides of the Pacific.

Where to find "Joe Quinn Among the Rowdies"

http://amzn.com/B00VDND708

Also available from McFarland Books

Giveaway
(International)
 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Instagram